Saturday, May 19, 2012

Using "negative" die cuts

Hi everyone!
It's Cristina here today, and I have a photo tutorial for my first day on the blog. Here is the card:
I love using die cuts on my cards and sometimes they are too detailed to use as a normal die cut, so then I just use the "negative" side. This technique gives you a perfect CAS card with a striking image as a focal point. Here is how I made it:
1. Get your die cut ready. In my case I used the Silhouette, but normal dies can be used for this technique too.
2. Cut a white piece of cardstock the same size as the front of the card, and color it using Peacock Feathers distress ink and an ink applicator.
3 and 4. Using a cotton bud and the die cut for reference, I mark the placed where I want to apply the other colors of ink.
5. Cut down a piece of foam so it's easier to apply the ink in small places.
6. Blend different inks, to give the image some depth.
7. Once your colored panel is finished, it won't look pretty, but it doesn't matter, cause the die cut will cover it. Take some Perfect Pearls mixed with water, and spray it a couple of times, just so the inks blend a bit, and it gives the paper great shine.
8. Stamp the sentiment onto the die cut piece using Spice Tin ink.
9. Add dimensionals to the back of the die cut. You will need lots of adhesive!
10. Glue the panels together and to the front of a card base, and your card is finished!


Hero Arts has a lot of die cuts for the Silhouette that work perfectly with this technique:


But if you don't own a Silhouette, there are a lot of dies in the market that you can use too:


I hope you give this technique a try, and don't forget that we have a challenge going on, so go make a card this weekend and join us, you could win a great prize!
Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!


Cris


Supplies:

25 comments:

Disp6194 said...

WOW! This peacock is amazing Cristina! I absolutely ADORE the colors you chose :)

Pam said...

Love that card! The peacock is gorgeous. For some reason I have not been getting your blog through my email, which I was getting since you started. Every time I check it says I am already signed up for email, but it's not happening. HELP! I love your blog & want to get it.

cheiron said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! I love the colors...so pretty.

Barb said...

Amazing card, Cris! Your negative die-cut peacock is stunning! Love the way you added the beautiful colors! Awesome tutorial - thanks! :)

Lisa Carroll said...

Just stunning, Cris! That's a beautiful diecut image and you made it specatular with those colors... WOW! Fantastic tutorial, too! :)

Melissa Shea said...

Wow! Cris! What an amazing card! That peacock is GORGEOUS! Fabulous tut!

Stephanie @ A Steph-Made Life said...

Cristina, this is BEAUTIFUL! Such a great idea, and great tutorial!!

Tina said...

Cris, this is fantastic! Your card is gorgeous and I love this idea.

joy said...

Thanks for such a great tutorial, Cris. I love this design, but, alas, I don't own a Silhouette! Will have to find some dies to use on my cuttlebug. Your colors are amazing.

Michelle said...

Absolutely stunning!!!! Amazing tutorial!!! :)

pcm said...

gorgeous!

Sofie said...

Waaaaw, you keep surprising me! It's sooo beautiful!

Leslie Hanna said...

Whoa. Amazing results!

jintyoo7 said...

Amazing, Cris - so happy to see your photo tutorial :)
Had downloaded this peacock and was wondering how it would turn out with all the intricate details - now I know - EXQUISITE!!

Kara Lynne said...

Thank you for this tutorial, I'm looking forward to trying it!

heidi @ ggip said...

This is gorgeous! I have this image as a stamp, and it is really probably more versatile as a die cut! Amazing and beautiful!

Bethany said...

Wow...this is one amazing card! I LOVE it :)

MarcyK924 said...

This is one fabulous card, Cristina! I can't wait to try this technique! A wonderful tutorial too! Thank you :)

donna mikasa said...

fabulous technique, Cristina! must.play.with.Silhouette!

Robin K. said...

Stunning result!!

Cris said...

Hi Pam! If you could send me an email telling me the address you used to subscribe to my blog, I could have a look. Here is my adress: crisbj82@gmail.com

Teresa Zuehls said...

Beautiful card! Love the fabulous colors you used. Thanks for the great idea. I love the peacock die...so beautiful.

Lucy Newton said...

Cristina está hermoso tu pavoreal, me encantaron los colores que usaste y el tutorial muy claro, gracias!

Teri Terrific said...

My new Distress Inks arrived today and I have purposed to make a copy of your creation FIRST thing with my new peacock color :D Thank you for the inspiration; perhaps I'll branch out and create something of my own design!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

This is so gorgeous I could stare at it all day. Thanks for sharing how you made it, Cristina!