Sunday, May 13, 2012

Indirect watercoloring techique

Hello, crafters!
It`s Tina here today and I will share with you a watercolor stamping technique. I call it `indirect` watercoloring.  I consider  `direct` watercoloring when you ink the stamp, spray it with water and stamp on paper. Well, today we are using the water little differently here. Here is the finished card and if you look closely at the green leaves you will notice kind of a `bleeding` watercolor effect.  Below I am sharing some photos and tips.


First the supplies for the roses panel: watercoloring paper, Distress inks, Mini mister and the Hero Arts rose stamp from Floral Blossoms set.

Stamp the image with green Distress ink on watercoloring paper.


Quickly spray the paper with water using Mini mister and the ink will start to bleed. Wait for the paper to dry, or speed up the process using the heat gun. I also recommend putting it under a pile of books to flatten it nicely (no, this is not a technique to try if you are in a hurry).


While waiting for the panel to dry/flatten, you can prepare the other roses that you can see in my finished card at the top of this post (unless you want them green). I usually use the tiniest paper scraps for this kind of stamping and as you can see on the photo, I place the stamp with the image facing up, ink the part that I want and press the paper on the stamp. I didn't use the watercoloring technique on them, since I wanted to get a little contrast. Now you need to cut the roses, assemble it on the green image and finish the card as you want. 


Before I leave, I want to share some tips (to avoid things like this):
- Try it first on some scraps, to see how much water it takes to`bleed` nicely.
- Have a good lighting to see where you are spraying the water, otherwise the image won`t `bleed` evenly (unless you want it uneven).
- I get the best results on watercoloring paper, but it works on a regular cardstock, too.
- Don`t throw away the mistakes. I flatten them and use the other side for paper piecing,...


Thanks for joining me today and you are invited to return on the 15th to see the new challenge. Hope you will play along, since our sponsor 



will generously give a 25$ gift certificate to one randomly selected winner!


See you again soon!

Tina

21 comments:

Lin said...

Gorgeous, Tina! Can't wait to try this!

Stephanie @ A Steph-Made Life said...

Great tutorial, Tina! Very cool technique!!

Nancy said...

Great tutorial, Tina! Beautiful card design!

Jennifer said...

Awesome technique and tips!

Nancy said...

Love this technique, Tina! I will definitely try it. Your card is pure gorgeousness!

jintyoo7 said...

Hi Tina, stunning technique - you make it look so easy but I am sure I will bungle it several times ...hhahha :)

stamplover2011 said...

Neat way of stamping Tina!! Very pretty card!!

Melissa Shea said...

Tina, that's gorgeous! Love the "bleeding" effect! Great tut!

Shoregirl said...

Lovely card and great tutorial!! Can't wait to try this fun technique out!!! Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

Love the way this technique looks, Tina! Beautiful card - thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Lucy Newton said...

Tina, beautiful card, I will have to try this technique!

Dee in N.H. said...

That is so pretty!! I can't wait to try it!

gRiSeL™ said...

Awesome tutorial! I love working with watercolors (pencils, ink, markers--you name it!). Beautiful card! Can't wait to try this technique out. Thanks for the wonderful tips!

Martha said...

What a wonderful tutorial, Tina! Each step is so well explained and easy to follow. I will have to create something with this new to me technique! Your card is simply gorgeous! I love the design and the pretty colors!

Thank you for the wonderful inspiration!

CinnamonSally said...

Wow such a pretty card Tina, thanks for the tips!!

Lisa Carroll said...

This, this is just fabulous! I especially love how you only inked the flowers, and then used scraps placing them upside down on the stamp! I would've reinked and restamped the whole image... that was a real "lightbulb moment" for me! Thank you for such an inspiring card! :)

Cindy C. said...

Beantiful card Tina! Fun technique, must give it a try!

Michelle said...

Tina this is just FABULOUS!! I so want to go try this. I might try it on canvas too. Thanks so much for opening my eyes to this technique. Your card is absolutely beautiful! :)

cheiron said...

Just gorgeous Tina! I love this technique. Your flowers are wonderful.

Tina Louie said...

I'm going to try this today! Thanks for the inspiration

Anette said...

Tina, this is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!